- Frank Coyle's Blog
- College Football Mondays
- Ahead of the Curve
- NFL News
- College News
- Order Publication
Philadelphia Eagles - 10-6
- Head Coach - Andy Reid - 13th Year
Key Team Needs:
1. OT 2. CB 3. DE 4. LB 5. RB
1st Round - 24th selection - 8 Picks overall
Photo - CB Jimmy Smith - Colorado
Short List Players - Eagles
1st Round (24th overall) Prospects
Nate Solder - OT - Colorado
Jimmy Smith - CB - Colorado
Mike Pouncey - OC - Florida
Adrian Clayborn - DE - Iowa
Muhammad Wilkerson - DT -Temple
Draft Insiders’ Yearbook - Complete 7 Round Mock Draft - Over 350 Pro Prospect Scouting Reports, NFL Team Report - all 32 Teams (34 pgs) - Update Report (18 pgs) Final 7 Round Draft, Special Player Lists, Top Small College Prospects - Dirty Dozen - All Available Now - Order Today
2nd Day Prospects
Ryan Williams - RB - Virginia Tech
Stephen Paea - DT - Oregon St
Brandon Harris - CB - Miami
Jabaal Sheard - DE - Pittsburgh
Marcus Gilbert - OT - Florida
Bruce Carter - LB - North Carolina
Mason Foster - LB - Washington
James Brewer - OT - Indiana
Colin McCarthy - LB - Miami
Ross Homan - LB - Ohio St
James Carpenter - OT - Alabama
1. Offensive Line - The Eagles starting line may look to add two prospects with right tackle and an interior center/guard fairly early in the process. They could draft into the center position with a prospect like Mike Pouncey available at the 24th overall selection. They also like OT Nate Solder who could be available with their 1st round pick.
2. Cornerback - The Eagles could address this area with both a safety and corner fairly early. Despite the addition of vet corner Asante Samuel, there is little depth on the corner and this could be their best value area at the 24th overall selection. They like corner Jimmy Smith and they may use their top pick on him. They could address both areas in the top 100 selections. They like corner Brandon Harris on the 2nd round and he will get strong consideration. Expect a few high draft selections at each position where the talent level falls quickly by the middle rounds.
3. Defensive End - The Eagles have several situational defenders here and may surprise and address this position again after selecting Brandon Graham with their top pick last April. With their late 1st round selection, they could surprise with two falling prospects like Adrian Clayborn and Da’Quan Bowers possibly available. They like Jabaal Sheard very much in the 2nd round and Allen Bailey to a lesser degree.
4. Linebacker - The Eagles have lacked an impact backer over recent seasons. They like several prospects with Top 100 grades, Bruce Carter, Mason Foster, Colin McCarthy and Ross Homan. All play well in a 4-3 scheme with most at the Will position. Foster gives them rare versatility and may be their highest rated 3rd round prospect. They have little depth behind starters and the addition of a quality early starter is essential. They may address this unit twice over the three-day draft.
5. Running Back - The Eagles starting tailback LeSean McCoy has performed well, but they have little depth behind him. They could address this area fairly early with a premier runner like Ryan Williams probably on the board in the late 2nd round. He would be a fine compliment to McCoy. They also like Delone Carter in the 4th round area and he would give them a tough power runner to compliment the shifty McCoy.
Draft Insiders’ Insights
The Eagles have been an aggressive club to move up for certain players and have one extra pick this year to maneuver in the early rounds. They have clear needs along the offensive line and in the secondary that could see both areas addressed with a few early selections. They hope to parlay their top picks into early starters. They will focus on an offensive lineman and like OL Nate Solder and Mike Pouncey in the 1st round. They will probably be tempted with a top-flight runner available with their first three selections and like Ryan Williams and Jordan Todman as compliments to McCoy. They also like Delone Carter in the middle rounds. They may find a few highly regarded prospects like Stephen Paea or Marcus Gilbert on the board in the late 2nd round who would be difficult to pass on at that point. They have done extensive work on DT Muhammad Wilkerson and he gives him 1st round consideration, though not a high need position.
1st Round Pick - CB Jimmy Smith - Colorado - The Eagles hope to land a complete cover man here.
Alternate Pick - OT Nate Solder - Colorado - Fine athlete has the skill set to be a top versatile tackle.