- Frank Coyle's Blog
- College Football Mondays
- Ahead of the Curve
- NFL News
- College News
- Order Publication
Philadelphia Eagles - 4-12 -
Head Coach - Chip Kelly - 1st year
Key Team Needs: 1. OT 2. DL 3. WR 4. LB 5. RB
Draft Insiders' - NFL Team Report 2013 (33 pages) Available Now - Order Today
Photo – OT Eric Fisher - Central Michigan
Eagles Team Report - Head Coach - Chip Kelly
1st Round Pick - 4th selection - 9 total picks
1. Offensive Line - The Eagles lost starting left tackle Jason Peters with an Achilles tendon injury that cost him the 2012 season. Their line struggled mightily all season and will be hard pressed to pass on one of the premier tackles in this rare class. They love LOT Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson and either could be their top pick. They could add an interior center/guard fairly early in the process with Barrett Jones highly coveted. They could draft into the center position with a prospect like Travis Frederick possibly available in the 2nd round. They also like OT Menelik Watson who could be available with their #2 pick.
2. Defensive Tackle - The Eagles have invested several high picks at this position with only Fletcher Cox and Mike Patterson playing up to their potential. Cox is a cornerstone defender here. Patterson signed with the Giants. They may address this position again in the early rounds and draft into the deepest position on defense. With their top selection, they have DT Sharrif Floyd high on their value board. They also like DT Sylvester Williams and Johnathan Hankins very much in the 2nd round.
3. Wide Receiver - The Eagles could address this area despite talent on this unit. They are disappointed in vet Jeremy Maclin. They may be tempted to select Robert Woods or Keenan Allen in the 2nd round. They also like Stedman Bailey and Aaron Dobson in the 3rd round. They could address this area later in the middle rounds and like Da’Rick Rogers and Chris Harper and they will get strong consideration. Expect a few high draft selections here with return skills considered with a prospect like Denard Robinson in the middle round area.
4. Linebacker - The Eagles signed veteran LB Connor Barwin to provide outside pass pressure. They like several of their young prospects especially #2 pick last April, Mychal Kendricks. He plays well in either pro scheme with versatility for a few positions. They have little depth behind starters and the addition of a quality early defender is critical. They may address this unit twice over the three-day draft.
5. Quarterback - The Eagles starting QB Michael Vick returns, but is on a year to year basis currently. Young Nick Foles is being hyped as the heir apparent, but is still a raw prospect. Eagles do a great job of promoting their backups with little production when given starting opportunities. They will probably invest in an early round addition like E.J. Manuel, Tyler Bray or Tyler Wilson good fits for the #3 jobs.
The Eagles win the Super Bowl every March and April. Unfortunately, it is played every February. They missed the playoffs the past two seasons despite being an aggressive club who moves up for certain players. This year, they have 9 picks to maneuver in the early rounds. They have clear needs along the defensive and offensive lines. They addressed their secondary in FA with a completely new veteran unit. They hope to parlay their top picks into early starters. They will focus on offensive and defensive linemen and like OT Eric Fisher, DT Sharrif Floyd and ‘Ziggy’ Ansah in the 1st round. They will probably be tempted with a top-flight receiver available with their #2 selection and like Robert Woods after he had an impressive pro day. They also like receivers Aaron Dobson and Da’Rick Rogers in the 3rd round. They may find a few highly regarded prospects like OT Menelik Watson, DE Datone Jones and DT Sylvester Williams on the board in the early 2nd round. They have done extensive work on OT Menelik Watson and will give him 2nd round consideration if they select DT Sharrif Floyd with their top pick.
1st Round Pick - OT Eric Fisher - Central Michigan - He could be the best of a great class of tackles.
Alternate Pick - DT Sharrif Floyd - Florida - Fine athlete has the skill set to be a top interior rusher.