- Frank Coyle's Blog
- College Football Mondays
- Ahead of the Curve
- NFL News
- College News
- Order Publication
Dallas Cowboys - 8-8 - Head Coach - Jason Garrett - 5th Year
Key Team Needs: 1. DL 2. S 3. WR 4. LB 5. RB
1st Round Pick - 16th selection - 11 total picks
Photo – Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Alabama
Draft Insiders’ 2014 Yearbook - over 300 in-depth Scouting Reports
NFL Team Report - 34 pages - Order Today Online or call 1-800-776-1949
Short List Players - Cowboys
1st Round (16th overall) Prospects
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Safety - Alabama
Aaron Donald - DT - Pittsburgh
Kony Ealy - DE - Missouri
Timmy Jernigan - DT - Florida St
2nd Day Prospects
Kareem Martin - DE - North Carolina
Scott Crichton - DE - Oregon St
Kyle Van Noy - LB - BYU
Jimmie Ward - Safety - Northern Illinois
Jarvis Landry - WR - LSU
Chris Smith - DE - Arkansas
Will Sutton - DT - Arizona St
Tre Mason - RB - Auburn
Anthony Johnson - DT - LSU
1. Defensive Line - The Cowboys parted ways with perennial Pro Bowl end DeMarcus Ware. They lost DT Jason Hatcher in FA, though they signed DT Henry Melton. Melton might be out till midseason rehabbing knee surgery. They need both ends and tackles for their 4-3 set and could use their top two picks on those positions. They resigned DE Anthony Spencer to a one year deal, though he is coming off knee surgery that cost him the 2013 season. They like DE Kony Ealy and tackles Aaron Donald and Timmy Jernigan in the mid first round. They will probably address their line with multiple selections. DEs Kareem Martin and Scott Crichton and DT Ra’Shede Hageman and Ego Ferguson are possible 2nd round picks. They like DE Chris Smith and DT Will Sutton in the 3rd round. Expect the Boys to explore trading up for linemen in the early rounds.
2. Safety - The Cowboys had major problems in the secondary last season and could address the safety spot in the early rounds. They added starting corners, Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne in recent years, though both struggled in a new coverage scheme. They like safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor and will consider them at the 16th overall pick in the 1st round. They like safety Jimmie Ward in the 2nd and Terrence Brooks and Craig Loston in the 3rd rounds.
3. Wide Receiver - The Boys’ hope to address their receiving corps with a top 100 selection. Veteran Miles Austin is unsigned and may not be back. Veteran Dez Bryant is a top #1 receiver and works opposite fast Terrance Williams who has a future here. The talent drops significantly from there and they could address this unit twice with 11 overall picks and little depth overall. They love WR Jarvis Landry and Donte Moncrief in the 2nd round and Brue Ellington in the 3rd round. They also like Marqise Lee in the 1st round.
4. Linebacker - The Cowboys switched to the 4-3 set last season and is a good fit for young LBers Sean Lee and Bruce Carter. Lee is a leader and playmaker in the middle, though struggles staying healthy. They have little depth overall and will hope to add an outside backer to complete the unit. C.J. Mosley would be a great value addition. OLB Ryan Shazier would be a surprise 1st round addition. They like Kyle Van Noy and have him earmarked for the 2nd round. They are looking at LB Trevor Reilly in the 3rd round.
5. Running Back - There is little depth and experience behind starter DeMarco Murray. Best value could be prospects Tre Mason and Ka’Deem Carey in the 2nd/3rd rounds. They like Charles Sims in the middle rounds.
The Cowboys finished .500 once again and have won only one playoff games since 1997. They hope to address their struggling defense with most of their top selections. Also, they still need playmakers for Tony Romo, though will most likely wait until the middle rounds. Their highest priority though, will be at defensive tackle, safety and linebacker. They have safeties Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix on their 1st round list and one should be available. They like DT Aaron Donald, but will have to move up to get him probably in the top dozen selections. They could select multiple defensive linemen after FA losses. They will add a defensive end in the top 100 and like Kareem Martin and Scott Crichton in the 2nd round. They are interested in a starting receiver and players like Odell Beckham and Marqise Lee could be the best 1st round value on the board. They would like to add a 1A type of runner though most likely not before the 3rd round. They like Tre Mason and see him as a fine compliment to Demarco Murphy. With 11 overall picks, they have the leverage to move up in the early rounds for the right player.
1st Round Pick - DT Timmy Jernigan - Florida St. -
Explosive interior defender with big play potential.
Alternate Pick - S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Alabama -
Centerfielder is a high Cowboys priority.
Frank Coyle is a long time member of the FWAA and voter in College player awards - Heisman, Outland, Nagurski, Lombardi, Thorpe etc for the past 20 years. He writes College Football Mondays weekly during the season. He is a longtime scouting consultant for the Senior Bowl, the nation’s premier postseason All-star game. He does sports radio shows for ESPN, Fox Sports and Sporting News on a year round basis related to College Football especially during the postseason team and All-star Bowl time. He has worked for CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Yahoo and Rivals sports publications and web sites.